You might be wondering, besides wearing amazing outfits, what does a bishop do?
- Oversees the financial and spiritual well-being of parishes especially when there is a crisis, transition, or long-term need. Our bishop helps St Paul’s by sharing discretionary money for our budget among many other things.
- Identifies and ordains candidates for deacon and priest. The bishop has the power to help form the criteria and process by which our clergy are selected.
- Moderates or approves diocesan-wide events from clergy gatherings, to convention, to particular outreach programs and targeted activities for constituents (think youth lock-in at the cathedral)
- Serves as the executive in decision making and policy for the Diocese
- Is a spiritual role-model and mentor for the Diocese - especially the clergy
- The bishop incarnates the character of the Diocese. Visiting every parish in the Diocese on a rotation gives her/him the opportunity to get a sense of who we are together and where we, as a group, are being called by God.
-- Pastor Rebecca Ragland